The USA Rice Federation provides this page to keep you advised about the farm bill and implementation. We want to facilitate your access to current activities, key developments, and essential documents.
If USA Rice can assist in any way, please contact Reece Langley,
, 703-236-1471 or Evan Spencer,
, 703-236-1476, at any time.
The final 2014 Farm Bill Conference Report was approved by the U.S. House on January 29, 2014 by a bipartisan vote of 251-166. The U.S. Senate approved the measure on February 4. The bill was signed into law on February 7, 2014 in East Lansing, MI. USDA has now begun the lengthy and important process of implementation. USA Rice will be working closely with USDA, as well as the House and Senate Agriculture Committees to ensure implementation is as quick and smooth as possible for producers and that it follows the intent of the Farm Bill.
September 2014 Updates:
- ARC/PLC Timeline:
- September 29, 2014 - February 27, 2015: Base Acre Reallocation and Yield Updates
- November 17, 2014 - March 31, 2015: ARC/PLC Election
- Mid April 2015 - Summer 2015: ARC/PLC Enrollment Period
- USDA announced that decision tools for ARC and PLC are now available for use. Beginning Monday, September 29, farm owners can visit their local Farm Service Agency (FSA) offices to begin the process of reallocating base acres and updating payment yields, if they chose to make these changes.
- APAS Tool
- USDA/NAAFP Tool
- ARC/PLC official rule
- ARC/PLC Fact Sheet
- ARC/PLC FAQ's
- Participants in Federal crop insurance programs must also comply with NRCS conservation provisions for Highly Erodible Land and Wetland Conservation. NRCS realased materials including a fact sheet, FAQ's, and an interactive compliance process flow chart to help farmers better understand program compliance. Visit the NRCS website or contact your local NRCS office for more information.
August 2014 Updates:
- USDA sent this letter out to all farm owners and operators to begin the process of verifying the base acres and planting history in preparation for the opportunity to reallocate base acres. Long and Medium/Short grain rice are included in the commodities eligible for a base acre reallocation this year. Correct base acreage information will be important when making a decision about ARC/PLC choices later this year. This program notice from USDA also outlines more information about base acreage changes for 2014.
- Fact Sheet about the Supplimental Coverage Option for Federal Crop Insurance
- Press release from Secretary Vilsack provides a six-month update on Farm Bill implimentation.
For a brief overview of the industry policy provisions and how they fared in the final bill, see the farm bill scorecard.
USA Rice Farm Bill Educational Materials:
USA Rice conducted Farm Bill education meetings in rice country this past spring. These materials are linked below.
- USA Rice detailed summary of the commodity, conservation, trade, crop insurance, and regulatory provisions.
- More detailed summary of the new policies with specific examples
- Final PowerPoint presentation
- List of FAQ's from the meeting
Additional Farm Bill Resources:
- Texas A&M Ag and Food Policy Center Website with additional farm bill information and a data collection document outlining what data will be needed for use in the forthcoming farm bill decision aid tool
- House Agriculture Committee Website
- Senate Agriculture Committee Website
- USA Rice one-page summary of key commodity and crop insurance provisions.
- Vote chart of rice state Members of the House and Senate on the Farm Bill vote.
- Vote chart of House Members on the Farm Bill vote.
- USA Rice 2014 Farm Bill Conference Report passage news release.
- USA Rice letter to House and Senate Members in support of final Farm Bill.