Creamy Cheeseburger Skillet Rice
Kids will love to eat this cheeseburger-inspired dish and will be excited to help with its creation. Our Creamy Cheeseburger Skillet Rice features U.S.-grown long grain rice and serves 6!
This recipe is part of “The Kids’ Kitchen” series, a collection of approachable recipes that teach children the basics of cooking through the preparation, assembly, and plating of each dish (adults are asked to handle any oven or stovetop instructions).
Serving Size1 cup
Prep Time20 min
Cook Time15 min
Total Time35 min
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups beef broth, divided use
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ounces reduced-fat or regular cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded reduced-fat or regular sharp cheddar cheese, divided use
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat, add beef and cook until brown, about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, onion, 2 cups of the broth, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce to the browned beef in skillet. Stir until well blended. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in the remaining 1 cup broth, cream cheese, mustard, salt, black pepper, and all, but ½ cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Recipe NotesFor super easy handling, use a rubber or silicone spatula to stir.
To measure easily, follow the markings on the cream cheese package.
- Serving 1 cup
- Calories 400
- Total Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 8g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 1030mg
- Carbohydrates 34g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 31g