Butternut Squash Cakes with Mixed Grains
- 3 cups wheat berries, cooked
- 6 cups U.S. basmati brown rice, cooked
- 3 cups butternut squash, roasted, mashed
- 1 ½ cups sweet onions, sautéed
- 1 ½ cups goat cheese crumbles
- 12 each egg, beaten
- 3 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup carrot, minced
- ¾ cup scallion, minced
- ¾ cup garlic, minced
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 quarts vegetable oil
- 3 quarts spring mix lettuce
- In a 2-gallon metalwork bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Place ½ cup rice mixture into a 2 ½-inch-square mold, pressing down to form a square cake.
- Heat oil in a tilt skillet over medium heat. Fry rice cakes for 7 to 10 minutes, flipping once or until cakes are golden in color.
- Transfer rice cakes to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until rice cakes reach an internal temperature of 165°F. Hold hot for service.
- To make 1 portion: slice 1 rice cake corner to corner, making a triangle shape. Transfer to a plate. Serve with ½ cup spring mix lettuce.
Optional: Serve with 2 lemon wedges and spicy mayonnaise on the side.