Cider Braised Chicken with Wild Rice
Recipe created by Ashley Cuoco in partnership with The FeedFeed and USA Rice.
- 2-3 lbs chicken pieces, skin-on & bone-in
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup bone or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain dijon mustard
- 1 cup Wild Rice, uncooked
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a large enameled cast-iron braising pan with lid over medium heat until very hot. Add oil and shallot to pan, sautéing until soft, about 1-2 minutes. Stir frequently, being careful not to burn. Add thighs and sear skin side down for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate. When cool enough to handle, slip 1 Tablespoon of butter underneath the skin of each thigh. This will fry the skin from the inside out, resulting in super crispy skin!
- Pour the cider and wine into the pan and bring to a boil, scraping off the bits from the bottom of the pan with the edge of a wooden spoon. Let reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and stir in mustard. Bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and carefully transfer to the oven for 20 minutes. Return chicken to pan, skin side up. Cover and transfer to the oven for 45-50 minutes more or until rice is cooked* and the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165F on a digital-read thermometer. Uncover and broil chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Stir in ¼ cup butter and parsley and serve.