Creamy Coconut Rice with Spiced Salmon Skewers
Both nutritious and delicious, this easy weeknight recipe comes together in just forty minutes!
This dish stars U.S.-grown Arborio rice and comes to us from our friend Gal of Something Nutritious.
Prep Time20 min
Cook Time20 min
Total Time40 min
- 1 cup U.S-grown Arborio rice, or other medium grain rice
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk, 13.66 oz
- ¾ cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- juice from ½ lime
- 1 lb skinless salmon
- 1 red bell peppers, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to grill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- cilantro + lime juice, to top
- Cut the salmon into 1” cubes and add it to a bowl with the sliced peppers and onion.
- Marinate the mixture in the lemon juice, olive oil and spices for 15 minutes.
- While that’s marinating, prepare your U.S-grown rice by adding the rice, coconut milk, water and salt to a saucepan and bringing it to a boil. Once boiling, cover with a lid, reduce the flame to low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes, then add in the lime juice and additional salt if needed.
- Layer the salmon cubes with the peppers and onions on wooden skewers, it should fill about 6.
- Heat a grill pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil, and cook each side of the skewer for about 1-2 minutes, until browned.
- Serve fresh over your coconut rice, topped with a little lime juice and cilantro!