Turmeric Coconut Basmati Rice Bowl
Our Turmeric Coconut Basmati Rice Bowls are sweet, savory, and bursting with color!
This power bowl recipe is made with U.S.-grown basmati rice and comes to us from our friend Maggie Michalczyk, RDN of @onceuponapumpkin.
Serving Size1 bowl
Prep Time30 min
Cook Time10 min
Total Time40 min
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic power
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1¼ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ cups greens
- ½ cup red seedless grapes, washed and halved
- ½ cup pickled or raw red onion
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 servings cooked chicken (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drain the can of chickpeas and dry them off using a paper towel. Spread them on a baking sheet and season with olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the chickpeas roast make the coconut turmeric rice. In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and the minced garlic, cooking until fragrant. Add the rinsed basmati rice, cooking for about a minute by itself before adding turmeric, black pepper and salt and then the water and coconut milk.
- Stir everything together until combined and bring to a boil before reducing to low heat. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is creamy and plump.
- Assemble the bowls with a base of greens topped with coconut turmeric basmati rice, crispy chickpeas, halved grapes, pickled red onion, feta. Add cooked or rotisserie style chicken if desired or leave off for a plant-based version. These bowls are also delicious with a big dollop of hummus on top! Enjoy!