Spring Onion and Pea Biryani Rice
Spring into spring with this delicious Spring Onion and Pea Biryani Rice recipe. This dish features U.S.-grown basmati rice and comes to us from our friend Chef Hari Cameron.
Serving Size1 bowl
- 2 cups basmati or long grain rice
- 4 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion small diced
- 2 leeks cleaned and cut into thin half round slices
- 2 bulb spring onions with tops
- 1 cup of English pea
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 20 cashews
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat medium sized pot on medium high heat. Add the spice and cook until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, cilantro, mint and cook for three minutes until aromatic and soft, but not caramelized.
- Lower the heat and cook onions for 5 minutes. Add rice and stock and simmer for 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add peas and lemon juice. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and top with toasted cashews and picked cilantro leaves.