Two Cheese Mexican Rice
You will love our Two Cheese Mexican Rice! Its quick to make, freezable, and stars U.S.-grown long grain white rice.
This dish is part of the "Meatless Mains in Minutes" recipe series, a collection of hearty vegetarian concepts that take no more than 30 minutes of total cook time.
Serving Size1½ cups
Prep Time12 min
Cook Time18 min
Total Time30 min
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- ½ (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (4-ounce) cans chopped mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 ounces reduced-fat or regular cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces (1 cup) reduced-fat or regular shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion, optional
- Bring water to a boil in a large skillet, stir in the rice, beans, green chilies, chili powder, and cumin. Reduce heat, stir, cover, and simmer 18 minutes or until rice is just tender and liquid is almost absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in the salt and arrange the cream cheese pieces evenly over all. Top with cheddar cheese. Cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes or until cheddar cheese has melted. Sprinkle tomato and onion over all.
Makes 6 cups total.
Recipe NotesThis is a great recipe for the freezer. Freeze in single serving amounts to have on hand for lunch or dinner!
- Serving 1½ cups
- Calories 370
- Total Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 30mg
- Sodium 1060mg
- Carbohydrates 52g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 15g