Fall Chicken & Rice Bake
Our Fall Chicken & Rice Bake makes for a delicious and simple nutritious meal that’s perfect for the season.
This seasonally inspired dish stars U.S.-grown brown long grain rice and comes to us from our friend Maggie of Once Upon a Pumpkin.
Prep Time15 min
Cook Time55 min
Total Time1 hr 10 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups hot chicken broth
- 1¼ cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons. butter
- 1½ cups long-grain brown rice
Apple, squash, and mushrooms
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup apple, peeled and cubed (about 2 small to medium apples)
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a small bowl combine the seasonings for the chicken. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and let marinade in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the meal. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the rice. In a small saucepan, heat the chicken broth and water for about 2-3 minutes. Lightly grease the baking dish and add the butter, olive oil, salt and pepper and shallot and garlic. Pour the hot water and broth over top and stir in the rice. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is baking, cube your butternut squash and apple.
- After 30 minutes, remove the rice from the oven, uncover, stir, and place the chicken, apples, and butternut squash on top of the rice. Place back in the oven for an additional 25 minutes.
- While the chicken and rice are baking, sauté the mushrooms with the butter, salt and pepper and fresh parsley. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken and rice from the oven. Gently stir the chicken and rice and add in the mushrooms until everything is well combined. Sprinkle extra fresh parsley on top and enjoy!