This Spanish rice dish is colorful and full of traditional flavor. Chicken, vegetables and savory spices are baked along with U.S.-grown brown rice until the flavors permeate the rice and create the perfect school meal.
This tasty K-12 school recipe was created for us by our friend Chef Sam Cowens-Gasbarro. Click on the PDF below to download the full recipe with crediting from the USDA Food Buying Guide recipe analysis workbook (RAW).
Serving Size¾ cup
- 6 ¼ pounds brown long grain rice, dry
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or saffron
- 4 tablespoons garlic, granulated
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 7 ½ quarts chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ¼ pounds chicken, diced, cooked
- 5 ¼ pound green peas, frozen
- 6 ½ pounds peppers and onion blend, frozen
- Divide rice evenly into (2) 2-inch deep full-sized steamtable pans.
- Combine salt, turmeric, garlic, paprika, thyme.
- Divide seasonings evenly into both pans. Stir seasonings into rice.
- Add 3 ¾ quarts of chicken broth and 1 tablespoon of oil to each pan. Thoroughly combine.
- Add thawed chicken, peas and peppers and onions to each steamtable pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Cover each steamtable pan and bake for 1 ½ hours, until rice has absorbed all liquid. Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes.
CCP: Hold warm, above 135 °F for service.
Recipe NotesOne portion provides: 2 oz. eq. grain, 2 oz. eq. meat/meat alternate, ½ cup vegetable
May cover and cook in steamer for 60 minutes. Finish by cooking 15 minutes, uncovered in oven.
Samantha Cowens-Gasbarro, Healthy School Recipes
- Serving ¾ cup
- Calories 400
- Total Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 35mg
- Sodium 290mg
- Carbohydrates 62g
- Dietary Fiber 7g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 24g