Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice
This on-trend rice recipe is the perfect base for bowls, burritos or as a flavorful side dish. This U.S.-grown brown long grain rice is fluffy, aromatic and ready to compliment both Mexican and Asian inspired meals.
This tasty K-12 school recipe was created for us by our friend Chef Sam Cowens-Gasbarro. Click on the PDF below to download the full recipe with crediting from the USDA Food Buying Guide recipe analysis workbook (RAW).
Serving Size1 cup
- 6 ¼ pounds brown long grain rice, dry
- 5 ½ quarts water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups lime juice
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, dried
- Combine rice, water, oil, salt, lime juice, and cilantro into a 2-inch steamtable pan. Stir to combine. Cover tightly. For 50 servings use 2 pans.
Oven Method: Cook in a 350 °F oven for 45 to 55 minutes.
Steamer Method: Cook in a steamer for 30 to 40 minutes.
CCP: Heat to 135 °F for at least 15 seconds.
- Remove from oven or steam and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cover; fluff rice before serving.
CCP: Hold warm, above 135 °F for service.
Recipe NotesThis recipe makes 50-1 cup portions of cilantro lime brown rice or 100-½ cup portions of rice.
½ cup (No. 8 scoop) provides 1 oz. eq. grain.
This recipe yields 12 ½ quarts of rice.
ONE CUP PORTION PROVIDES: 2 oz. eq. whole grains
Source: Samantha Cowens-Gasbarro, Healthy School Recipes
- Serving 1 cup
- Calories 260
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat .5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 160mg
- Carbohydrates 50g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Protein 5g