Sweet Pepper “Sushi” Rice Rounds
Our kid-friendly “sushi” rounds allow little ones to be completely hands-on in creating a tasty and colorful snack. Don’t forget the sauce!
This recipe is part of “The Kids’ Kitchen” series, a collection of approachable recipes that teach children the basics of cooking through the preparation, assembly, and plating of each dish (adults are asked to handle any oven or stovetop instructions).
Serving Size8 rounds
Prep Time30 min
Total Time30 min
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 3 ounces reduced-fat or regular cream cheese, softened*
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 16 petite sweet peppers (about 1 pound total)
- ¼ cup light or regular soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Combine the rice, cream cheese, chopped bell pepper, onions, cilantro, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Cut the stems off each petite pepper and remove seeds by using a small measuring spoon or knife, being careful to leave the peppers whole.
- Fill each pepper with rice mixture using a small spoon or clean hands. Pack firmly. (May want to wipe the outside of each pepper to remove any excess cheese mixture with a paper towel.)
- Slice stuffed peppers into ¼ inch thick rounds, discarding ends of peppers, and place on a plate.
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Serve with pepper rounds. May serve with chopsticks or small forks.
Makes about 32 rounds total.
Recipe NotesPlace cream cheese in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat on high setting for 10-15 seconds or until very soft.
For an entrée, arrange 8 oz. cooked peeled shrimp on platter with rounds.
- Serving 8 rounds
- Calories 160
- Total Fat 4.5g
- Saturated Fat 2.5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 600mg
- Carbohydrates 25g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 5g