Vegan Brown Rice Stuffing with Butternut Squash & Mushrooms
Make room on your plate for this holiday staple! This Vegan Brown Rice Stuffing is packed with the comforting savory flavors you love and is gluten-free!
This recipe comes to us from our friend @DaisyBeet in partnership with the Feedfeed and USA Rice.
- 1½ cups brown long grain rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- large butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 box baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons sage, chopped
- Cook brown rice with vegetable broth according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon thyme. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender.
- While the rice and butternut squash cook, prepare the stovetop vegetables.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots with more salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5-8 minutes, until carrots begin to soften.
- Add mushrooms, the remaining thyme, sage, and salt and pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the mushrooms brown and everything starts to caramelize a little, leaving little brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Use your spoon to scrape the brown bits into the vegetable mixture, because it adds a lot of savory flavor.
- Once everything is done cooking, Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm with fresh herbs for garnish.