Brown Rice with Sizzling Chicken and Vegetables
Rice bowls with vegetables and chicken, popular at many restaurants, are appealing to children and adults, alike. And they’re simple to prepare at home.
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small white onion, cut into small wedges (about ⅛-inch thick wedges)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally (1 cup total)
- 1 ½ cup small broccoli florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Mix soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add minced garlic; sauté about one minute until garlic is golden.
- Add chicken; cook about 5-6 minutes, then push chicken to the side.
- Add onions to center of skillet; cook until slightly tender and push to the side. Continue with carrots, broccoli, and peppers separately, placing each in the center of pan, cooking until slightly tender and pushing to the side.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into center of skillet. Leaving other ingredients at the sides of the pan, stir sauce until it thickens. Mix in with vegetables and chicken.
- Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
- Calories 490
- Total Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 680mg
- Carbohydrates 61g
- Dietary Fiber 6g
- Protein 39g