Carrot Zucchini & Black Rice Fritters
You will love these nutritious Carrot Zucchini & Black Rice Fritters! They are easy to make, fun to eat, and freezer-friendly.
This recipe features U.S.-grown black rice and comes to us from our friend Anne Danahy in partnership with USA Rice.
Serving Size2 fritters and ¼ cup yogurt sauce
Prep Time3 hrs 45 min
Cook Time15 min
Total Time4 hr
- ½ cup black pearl rice
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1 medium zucchini grated
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 scallions minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons brown rice flour or other gluten-free or regular flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Optional Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- pinch salt
- Put the rice, water, and a pinch of the salt in a medium saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let the rice simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender and fluffy (about 30 minutes). Let the cooked rice cool for 15 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, place the shredded zucchini in a colander over the sink. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over it and toss well. Let the zucchini sit for about 15 minutes, or until it gives up some liquid. Squeeze out any excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice, shredded carrots, drained zucchini, minced parsley, and minced scallions. Add the garlic powder, cumin, coriander, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt (or to taste).
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and rice flour. Mix well until smooth. Add this to the vegetable mixture and mix well.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Form the vegetable batter into patties about 3-inches in diameter. When the oil is hot, add 3 or 4 to the pan (however many fit comfortably in your pan) and let them cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on the heat, you may need to turn it down a bit so the fritters cook evenly and don't burn.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To make the yogurt sauce, combine the Greek yogurt, parsley, lime zest and juice, and a pinch of sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve 2 fritters with about ¼ cup of the yogurt sauce for each portion.
Recipe NotesKeep some cooked rice in the fridge to cut 45 minutes off the prep time!
Use the grating blade on a food processor to grate the vegetables in seconds.
- Serving 2 fritters
- Calories 286kcal
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 96mg
- Sodium 379mg
- Carbohydrates 35g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 12g