Chicken Berry and Brown Rice Bowls
These Chicken Berry and Brown Rice Bowls are light, refreshing, and easy to make! Greens, berries, protein, and U.S.-grown brown rice, what more could you want?! This healthy dish is blood sugar-friendly, low glycemic, and comes to us from our friend Anne Danahy MS, RD in partnership with USA Rice.
Prep Time15 min
Cook Time40 min
Total Time50 min
- ⅓ cup U.S.-grown brown long grain rice
- ¾ cup water or unsalted chicken stock
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
- ¾ cup blackberries
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup sweet onion, thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook the Rice – Combine the rice and water (or stock) in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to heat to low, cover, and let the rice simmer for about 40 minutes, or until cooked. If using a rice cooker, combine the rice and liquid and turn it on. It will turn off when the rice is cooked. If desired, chill the rice for several hours overnight.
- Make the Dressing – While the rice cooks, combine the olive oil, honey, vinegar, Greek yogurt, dry mustard, onion powder, poppy seeds, and salt in a jar. Cover and shake well until everything is smooth and combined. Set the dressing aside.
- To Assemble the Bowls – Combine the cooked brown rice, greens, chicken breast, blackberries, strawberries, and onion in a large mixing bowl. Toss gently to combine. Pour all (or the desired amount) of dressing over the ingredients and toss again. Divide the mixture into two bowls. Sprinkle each portion with 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds. Serve immediately.
Recipe NotesIf desired, double or triple the rice and liquid. You can keep extra rice in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Calories 619
- Total Fat 39g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 461mg
- Carbohydrates 41g
- Dietary Fiber 6g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 28g