Chicken & Rice Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package mixed frozen vegetables
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ cups baking mix*
- ¾ cup buttermilk*
- ½ cup green onions, finely chopped
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, thyme, sage and pepper. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes until onion is tender. Add flour, cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking 4 to 6 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in vegetables; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice, chicken and parsley; cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes more. Place in 2.5 quart casserole.
- Combine baking mix, buttermilk and green onions in medium bowl. Gently stir, just until dough comes together. Form dough into 9-inch long log on lightly floured surface; cut crosswise into 6-1/2-inch rounds. Or roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness and cut with different shaped cookie cutters. Or top casserole with biscuits, spacing evenly.
- Bake in 425-degree oven for 20 minutes until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- *1 can of store-bought biscuits can be used in place of homemade; top with green onions.
- May be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.
- Calories 487
- Total Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 49mg
- Sodium 1413mg
- Carbohydrates 69g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Protein 23g