Fresh Spinach-Rice Soup with Parmesan
Make life easy with our "No-Measure" Fresh Spinach-Rice Soup with Parmesan recipe-all you need to measure is a cup of rice!
Serving Size1½ cups soup; ¼ cup cheese
Prep Time5 min
Cook Time25 min
Total Time30 min
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 (32-oz) cartons of chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- dried oregano or italian seasoning (to taste)
- garlic powder (to-taste)
- 1 (6-oz) package fresh spinach
- 1 large lemon, halved
- extra virgin olive oil (to-taste)
- 1 (6-oz) package shredded parmesan cheese
- black pepper (to-taste)
- Place broth and onion in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and bring to boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and sprinkle generously with oregano and garlic powder. Return to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover and cook 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the spinach until just wilted. Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the soup and drizzle with oil to taste. Spoon into bowls, top with cheese, and sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Makes 9 cups soup and 1½ cups cheese total. Serves 6 with 1½ cups soup and ¼ cup cheese per serving.
Recipe NotesCook’s Note: A large onion generally weighs about 6 oz. and is about 1 1/2 cups chopped.
Cook’s Note: Cover leftover soup and refrigerate up to 2 days. The rice will cause the soup mixture to thicken overnight. May serve as a risotto when reheated or for a thinner soup-like dish, add chicken broth or water to the desired consistency.
- Serving 490g
- Calories 280
- Total Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 1200mg
- Carbohydrates 33g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 19g