Italian Pepperoni Rice Bake
This USA Rice affordable recipe totals at $8.21 with a breakdown of $2.05 per serving.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, reserving liquid
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz) package shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided use
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided use
- 1 (14 oz) jar or 2 cups of spaghetti sauce pizza sauce
- 30 ( 2 oz) thin pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook rice and basil in a medium skillet according to rice package directions. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, reserved liquid and salt until well blended. Add half of the mozzarella and all, but 2 Tbsp. of the Parmesan cheese and stir gently until well blended. (See note below.)
- Spoon the pizza sauce evenly over all, top with the pepperoni (overlapping slightly) and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese; bake 25-30 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown on edges. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Recipe NotesMost skillets are ovenproof in a 350 degree F oven, but the rice-spinach mixture may be transferred to a 2-quart baking dish, topped with remaining ingredients and baked as directed.
Moneysaving Tip: You may purchase dried herbs and spices at your local dollar store for a fraction of the supermarket price