Italian Rice Pilaf
Italian Rice Pilaf, also known as “Risotto Pilaf,” is a savory and flavorful rice dish that is cooked with onions, garlic, and a variety of herbs and spices. It’s a delicious and comforting dish with a slightly nutty flavor and a creamy texture.
This recipe features U.S.-grown brown long grain rice and comes to us from Chef Rebecca Polson of USA Rice’s K-12 Chef Advisory Board.
Serving Size1 cup
- 6 lb, 4 oz brown long grain rice, parboiled
- 1 lb tomatoes, diced (fresh or canned)
- 8 oz yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic, granulated
- 2 tsp salt, kosher
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 gallon +2 quarts broth, vegetable or water, hot
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley, grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Add rice, tomatoes, onion, oil, and spices to 4 inch hotel pan. (Multiple pans may be needed depending on servings.) Stir until rice is coated in oil and spices.
- Pour hot water or stock over rice blend.
- Cover pan with parchment and foil to create seal.
- Bake in oven for approximately 55 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed by rice.
- Hot hold at 135º or above, leave covered until service, do not stir.
- Fluff with fork right before service.
- Serve with 8 oz spoodle.
- Optional Garnishes: Chopped Parsley, Grated Parmesan.