Rice Burgers with Sweet Potato and Mushroom
This is not your mother's veggie burger! It's in a class all its own, highlighting brown rice in a unique way that's guaranteed to satisfy even the emptiest stomach. They're great for Sunday night meal prep (make 4 and use throughout the week!) or to freeze for a rainy Monday.
This recipe was created by our friend Ashley Cuoco in partnership with USA Rice and The FeedFeed.
Serving Size1 burger
Prep Time15 min
Cook Time60 min
Total Time1 hr 15 min
- vegetable oil, for frying
- large shallot, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 can chipotle pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from can)
- medium sweet potato
- to taste kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 8 large baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1½ cups brown rice
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 brioche buns, split
- iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- for serving red onion, sliced
- for serving arugula microgreens
- To make crispy shallots: heat about ½ of vegetable oil in a skillet or small saucepan over medium heat. Use a thermometer to heat to 275F. Add shallots and give them a stir to break apart the rings. Fry until crispy and deep golden-brown, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally for even coloring. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- To make spicy mayo: in a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, chipotle and adobo sauce. Chill until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Use a fork to pierce the sweet potato a few times to vent. Place potato on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack. Roast until fork-tender, about 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and discard skin. Use a fork to mash and let cool completely.
- Add mushrooms, including stems, to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times, until roughly chopped (some bigger pieces are okay!)
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and onion. Stir and cook until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon soy sauce and cook 1 minute more. Add mushroom and stir; cook another 3 minutes. Finally, stir in brown rice and the remaining teaspoon soy sauce. Season with a few good cracks of pepper. Transfer to a large bowl to cool. Wipe down skillet while it’s still warm.
- Into rice mixture, gently fold in panko, apple cider vinegar and ½ cup mashed sweet potato. Use your hands to bring it all together. If it is too loose and crumbly, add in another ½ cup sweet potato. When it nicely bound together, use a heaping ½ cup measuring cup to portion out each burger. Shape into 4 patties about 4” in diameter and ½” thick.