Tuscany Rice and Bean Tomato Soup
"Rice to the Rescue!" Recipe Contest Winner - Marie Rizzio
- 8 ounces mild or hot italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans del monte diced tomatoes-no salt added or del monte diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano-no salt added
- 3 (16-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can great northern beans-no salt added, un-drained
- Brown sausage in 3 to 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and beans. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Calories 215
- Total Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 144mg
- Sodium 306mg
- Carbohydrates 16g
- Protein 15g