This Vegetarian Paella comes together in under an hour using simple ingredients. Starring U.S.-grown short grain rice, this recipe brings all the flavor and comfort of the classic Spanish rice dish and comes to us from our friend Jamie Vespa RD in partnership with USA Rice.
Prep Time10 min
Cook Time45 min
Total Time55 min
- 1½ cup short grain rice
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 ounce cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- lemon zest & juice
- ⅓ cup green olives, sliced
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large high-sided skillet with a fitted lid over medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms; cook 7 to 8 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, paprika, saffron, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add wine and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until mostly reduced. Stir in rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes, until rice begins to turn translucent. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, and green peas. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine parsley, lemon zest and juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a small bowl. Once rice is cooked, remove lid and cook 5 more minutes. Scatter parsley oil overtop, and garnish with olives, if desired.
Recipe NotesStore in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 4 days.
- Calories 427
- Total Fat 12g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Sodium 690mg
- Carbohydrates 61g
- Dietary Fiber 6g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 9g