Students of all ages will love our yellow rice. This staple rice dish is found in many global cuisines and is flavorful, fun, and versatile.
This tasty K-12 school recipe was created for us by our friend Chef Sam Cowens-Gasbarro. Click on the PDF below to download the full recipe with crediting from the USDA Food Buying Guide recipe analysis workbook (RAW).
Serving Size1 cup
- 6½ pounds brown long grain, parboiled rice, dry
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 6½ quarts low-sodium vegetable stock
Yellow Rice Seasoning Blend
- 4 tablespoons turmeric
- 4 tablespoons garlic, granulated
- 4 tablespoons onion, granulated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Create seasoning blend by mixing all seasonings in a small bowl.
- Combine rice, oil, seasonings, and stock into a steamtable pan. Stir to combine. Cover tightly.
• For 50 servings use one, 4-inch full steamtable pan.
• Parboiled rice: cook in a 350 °F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
CCP: Heat to 135 °F for at least 15 seconds.
- Remove from oven or steamer and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove cover; fluff rice before serving.
CCP: Hold warm, above 135 °F for service.
Recipe NotesOne cup portion provides: 2 oz. eq. whole grains
This recipe makes 50, 1 cup servings or 100, ½ cup servings
CCP: for leftover rice, cool from 135 °F to 70 °F in 2 hours and from 70 °F to 41°F in 4 more hours.
Seasoning mix can be premade in bulk and stored.
Recipe source: Samantha Cowens-Gasbarro, Healthy School Recipes
- Serving 1 cup cooked
- Calories 270kcal
- Total Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat .5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 90mg
- Carbohydrates 51g
- Dietary Fiber 4g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 5g