Market Overview

Saudi Arabia has a population of 28.6 million (about 44 percent is under 25 years of age).  The population is expected to nearly double in the next 20 years. Annual consumption of rice is estimated at 100 lbs.  About 90 percent of the rice market in Saudi Arabia consists of long grain rice, including basmati, parboiled and regular white milled rice; the remaining 10 percent consists of medium grain varieties. A total of 1.4 million MT of rice was imported in 2017.  The U.S. is among the top five suppliers to Saudi, and Saudi Arabia was the seventh largest export destination for U.S. rice in terms of value in 2017, importing 124,900 MT with a value of $93.3 million.

USA Rice Activities 

In close cooperation with local importers, USA Rice conducts outdoor advertising, in-store promotions and branding, radio and print advertising all communicating the high quality of U.S. rice and its suitability to the Saudi cuisine.  Malls and supermarkets offer excellent opportunities to target consumers, as young families like the indoor gaming zones and amusement centers in malls, while young mothers find them safe and ideal for the entertainment of their children.