Serving Size2 cakes
Prep Time30 min
Total Time1 hr
- 2 gallons 2 quarts Black beans, low-sodium, canned drained, rinsed
- 3 cups Pasteurized egg product
- 1½ quarts Cilantro, fresh, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ gallons Sweet onion, minced
- 1 cup Garlic, chopped
- ½ cup Cumin, ground
- ¼ cup Chili powder, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper, ground
- 3 gallons 2 cups Brown rice, cooked*
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper, ground
- Paprika or smoked paprika, for dusting
- 2 quarts 1½ cups Prepared low-fat ranch dressing, optional
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse black beans slightly until chopped. Add eggs and pulse several times. Add in cilantro and pulse until combined. Hold. *Critical Control Point: Refrigerate below 41°F.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir in onion and sauté 3-4 minutes, or until onions start to caramelize. Stir in garlic, cumin, chili powder and red pepper and continue cooking 1-2 minutes. *Critical Control Point: Cook to an internal temperature of 145°F or higher for at least 15 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Place reserved black bean mixture into a large bowl, fold in rice and onion-garlic mixture and mix well. Add salt and pepper and mix. Chill mixture. *Critical Control Point: Refrigerate below 41°F.
- Scoop 100 x 1/3-cup scoops (No. 12 scoop) of rice and bean mixture onto parchment-covered, full-size sheet pans, evenly spaced. Flatten slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with paprika or smoked paprika and bake. Convection oven: 350°F or conventional oven: 400°F for 30-35 minutes or until slightly golden and heated to 165 F or higher for 15 seconds. Outsides of the cakes will be slightly crisp. Remove from pan.*Critical Control Point: Hold hot at 135°F or higher for service.
- To Serve: Serve 2 cakes with 1 ½ tbsp ranch dressing (optional). *Critical Control Point: Hold hot at 135°F or higher for service.
- Serving 2 cakes
- Calories 243
- Total Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 27mg
- Sodium 294mg
- Carbohydrates 45g
- Dietary Fiber 10g
- Protein 10g