Fresh Herbed Portobellos with Brown and Wild Rice
Recipe adaptation courtesy of the California Wild Rice Advisory Board. Created by Chef John O'Toole Atlantic Culinary Academy Excellent with a green salad for lunch or use smaller portabellas and serve as appetizers
Serving Size1 mushroom
- 8 large Portobello mushroom caps (about 2 lbs. total)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided use
- 12 slices center cut bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cups cooked wild rice
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Clean mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. Cut off stems from mushroom caps; rinse stems under cold water. Coarsely chop stems and set aside. Use a spoon to scrape out and discard gills from mushroom caps. Brush the oil over mushroom caps; place gill-side up on a baking sheet; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and bake 10 minutes or until tender and releasing juices.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes, turning occasionally; remove from pan and set aside. Discard all, but 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Add the chopped mushroom stems to the hot grease and sauté for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes or until browned on edges. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in the wine; cook 2 minutes or until reduced slightly and glossy, scraping bottom of skillet to remove particles. (Note: There will be some liquid remaining). Remove from heat.
- Chop the bacon and stir into the onion mixture with the brown rice, wild rice, scallions, basil, oregano, thyme, ½ cup cheese, ½ teaspoon. salt and pepper.
- Spoon equal amounts of the rice mixture on top of each mushroom. (Note: It will be very full.) Sprinkle evenly with the remaining ¼ cup cheese and bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts slightly.
- Serving 1 mushroom
- Calories 280
- Total Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 580mg
- Carbohydrates 26g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 10g