Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Students will love this cheesy and filling dish and so will you! It’s versatile enough to use as a vegetable side or have it rice forward to meet your grain requirements.
This recipe stars U.S.-grown long grain white rice and comes to us from Chef Bettina Applewhite of USA Rice’s K-12 Chef Advisory Board.
Serving Size4 oz.
For 25 Servings
- 4 lbs broccoli, frozen
- 10 cups cooked rice
- 4 cups cheese sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pan spray
For 50 Servings
- 8 lbs broccoli, frozen
- 20 cups cooked rice
- 8 cups cheese sauce
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pan spray
- Preheat convection oven to 350º.
- Prepare hotel pans by spraying with pan spray for 5 seconds for each pan used.
- Mix cooked rice, cheese sauce, and broccoli.
- Divide evenly between pans.
- Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese per pan. Cover each pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 - 40 minutes until casserole reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145º. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, remove the foil so that the shredded cheese can melt and turn golden in color.
One serving provides ¾ oz whole grain equivalent, ¾ cup green vegetables, ½ oz m/ma.