Butternut Squash Cakes with Mixed Grains
Serving Size1 rice cake + ½ cup lettuce
- ¾ cup Wheat berries (farro), cooked
- 1 ½ cups U.S. Basmati brown rice, cooked
- ¾ cups butternut squash, cooked, mashed
- 6 tablespoons sweet onions, sautéed
- 6 tablespoons Goat cheese crumbles
- 3 each egg, beaten
- ¾ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons carrot, minced
- 3 tablespoons scallion, minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil, as needed
- 3 cups spring mix lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Place ½ cup rice mixture into a 2 ½-inch-square mold, pressing down to form a square cake.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry rice cakes for 7 to 10 minutes, flipping once or until cakes are golden in color.
- Transfer rice cakes to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until rice cakes reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- To make 1 portion: Slice 1 rice cake corner to corner, making a triangle shape. Transfer to a plate. Serve with ½ cup spring mix lettuce.