Cheesy Sausage Breakfast Bake
Start your students’ day off the rice way with our Cheesy Sausage Breakfast Bake. This breakfast bake has a base of cheesy seasoned rice combined with breakfast sausage crumbles.
This tasty K-12 school recipe was created for us by our friend Chef Sam Cowens-Gasbarro of Healthy School Recipes. Click on the PDF below to download the full recipe with crediting from the USDA Food Buying Guide recipe analysis workbook (RAW).
Serving Size1 slice
- 3⅛ pounds brown long-grain rice, parboiled, dry
- 3 quarts water
- 24 egg (.5 oz m/ma)
- 1 quart milk, low fat
- 4 tablespoons onion, granulated
- 4 tablespoons garlic, granulated
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
- 1½ shredded cheddar cheese, low sodium (.5 oz m/ma)
- 1 pound turkey sausage crumbles, low sodium
- Combine rice and water in a 4-inch steamtable pan for 48 servings. Stir to combine. Cover tightly.
Oven Method: Cook in a 350 °F oven for 20 minutes.
Steamer Method: Cook in a steamer for 15 to 20 minutes.
CCP: Heat to 135 °F for at least 15 seconds.
- Remove from oven or steamer and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool properly. CCP: Cool from 135 °F to 70 °F in 2 hours and from 70 °F to 41°F in 4 more hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Mix egg, milk, and seasonings together in a large bowl.
- Spray two 2-inch steamtable pans with pan spray.
- Place chilled rice in a layer at the bottom. Sprinkle evenly with sausage crumbles and cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the top and evenly distribute in the pan. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add remaining cheese. Cover and place in warmer for 15 minutes to allow cheese to melt.
- Cut the pans into 6 rows of 4 and serve.
Recipe NotesOne Portion Provides: 1 oz. eq. whole grain, 1.5 oz. m/ma
Source: Samantha Cowens-Gasbarro, Healthy School Recipes
- Serving 1 slice
- Calories 240cal
- Total Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 4.5g
- Cholesterol 110mg
- Sodium 200mg
- Carbohydrates 60g
- Dietary Fiber 27g
- Protein 12g