Ham and Sweet Pineapple Rice
Serving Size1½ cups
- 5 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 (20-ounce) cans of pineapple tidbits in juice
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1 lb boneless ham steaks
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine pineapple and its juices and the water in stock pot. Bring to a “rolling boil” over high heat.
- Combine rice, onions, curry powder, and salt in a 20x12x4-inch hotel pan. (Note: If using a disposable pan, place on a sheet pan for support). Place pan in oven. Pour hot pineapple mixture over rice mixture. Stir until well blended. Cover tightly and bake 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the stock pot over medium heat. Add a ham steak and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place on cutting board and continue with remaining 2 ham steaks.
- Set stock pot aside.
- Chop ham steaks into cubes (about ½ inch cubes).
- Remove rice mixture from oven, fluff with a fork and top with the chopped ham. Sprinkle evenly with the sugar. Melt the butter in the stock pot (used to brown ham) over low heat, scraping bottom of pot to remove some the browned bits. When melted, drizzle evenly over all.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until sugar has melted.
Makes: 36 cups total. Serves 24; 1½ cups per serving
- Serving 1½ cups
- Calories 390
- Total Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 45mg
- Sodium 980mg
- Carbohydrates 59g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 13g