Cool down with a delicious rice drink that is perfect for the hot weather months and easy to make. Horchata is a popular Latin American beverage that combines milk, U.S.-grown rice, vanilla, and cinnamon for the perfect balance of sweet, creamy, and refreshing!
Serving Size1 glass
Total Time8 hrs
- 1⅓ cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ – ½ cups granulated sugar, to taste
- To a blender, add rice, 2 cups of water, and 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Blend about for 2 minutes or until the rice and cinnamon sticks are roughly ground.
- Add the remaining water and blend again.
- Pour contents into a pitcher or container with a fitted lid and place on your countertop overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
- Pour the rice mixture into a fine mesh strainer, into a pitcher. Discard the rice.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar (to your preference). Chill until ready to serve. Stir well before serving and serve over ice.
Recipe NotesBreak the cinnamon sticks in large pieces before you place in the bowl to soak. This will give more flavor from the inside of the cinnamon.
If you don’t have cinnamon sticks, you can soak the rice with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- Serving 1 Glass
- Calories 191kcal
- Total Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 6mg
- Sodium 36mg
- Carbohydrates 36g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 4g