Mujadara is a classic Lebanese rice and lentils recipe that makes for a simple and flavorful side dish that works for any meal. It’s nutrient dense, great for meal prep, and affordable-what’s not to like!
This recipe stars U.S.-grown brown rice and comes to us from our friend Gal of Something Nutritious in partnership with USA Rice.
Prep Time10 min
Cook Time45 min
Total Time55 min
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 3 yellow onions
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- toppings: fresh mint, yogurt
- To a large pot, add the lentils with one tablespoon of olive oil, the 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and salt and toast on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water to the pot, cover with a lid and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes. There should still be some liquid, and the lentils should be parboiled.
- After 20 minutes, add the rice into the same pot with the lentils and add another 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil again, then once boiling reduce the heat to low and let the rice and lentils simmer for about 25 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Once ready, set the pot aside and let it sit for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Adjust the salt to taste.
- While that boils, dice one of the onions, and slice the other two into strips.
- Heat a large pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the diced onion for 6-7 minutes on medium heat until they brown. Set them aside to mix into the rice and lentils.
- Once you remove the diced onion, add another 2 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and add in your sliced onions. Cook them on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown and become caramelized. You can cook them on a higher heat at the end for another 1-2 minutes to let them crisp up. Season with ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Once the rice and lentils are ready, mix in the diced onions then transfer the mixture to a serving plate.
- Top it with the caramelized onions and serve with fresh mint and yogurt!