Red Beans and Rice
This classic blends pinto beans with bay leaf, garlic, turkey ham, onions, thyme and Creole seasonings and served on a bed of long grain white rice to make a complete meal. Just like in the South.
Serving Size1 cup rice; ½ cup beans
Prep Time20 min
Cook Time3 hr
Total Time3 hr 20 min
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- ½ tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 each bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry leaf thyme
- 2 pound smoked turkey or ham
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 3 quarts water or stock
- ½ cup parsley
- 3 quarts long grain or parboiled rice
- In large braiser or rondo, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion and saute 4-5 minutes, until onions start to turn golden brown. Add garlic, Creole seasoning, bay leaf, pepper and thyme and continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add turkey or ham and continue to cook 3-4 minutes or until heated through and mixture starts to caramelize.
- Add beans and water or stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 3 hours or until beans are tender and liquid is reduced and thickened. Adjust seasonings.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Keep warm. For each serving, scoop 1 cup hot, cook rice into a bowl and ladle top of rice with ½ cup beans.