Rice Salad with Prosciutto, Figs, Gorgonzola and Walnuts
"Sizzlin' Summer Rice Salad Contest" Grand Prize Winner - Julie DeMatteo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked medium grain brown rice, cooled to room temperature
- ½ to ¾ cup good-quality Italian olive-oil & vinegar salad dressing
- ¾ cup dried figs, chopped
- ¾ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a pie pan, toss walnuts with olive oil, pepper and salt. Bake until toasted, stirring twice, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Line a large baking pan with parchment paper or sprayed foil. Place prosciutto slices in a single layer on pan (don’t worry if they tear). Bake until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes, removing pieces as they are done. Crumble into small pieces.
- Toss rice with desired amount of salad dressing.
- Stir in the figs, gorgonzola cheese, walnuts and prosciutto.
- Calories 330
- Total Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 25mg
- Sodium 1000mg
- Carbohydrates 35g
- Dietary Fiber 4g
- Protein 11g