This easy-prep slow cooker recipe is perfect for colder weather and delivers a filling and delicious meal! The classic Cajun dish blends shrimp, andouille, chicken, and vegetables with U.S.-grown long grain rice and was developed by our friends at the Seafood Nutrition Partnership.
Serving Size1 bowl
Prep Time20 min
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 20 min
- 2 medium celery stalks, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium green onion stalks, sliced
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 12 oz andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 lb deveined shrimp
- 3 cups long grain rice
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook long grain rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle the flour on a heavy sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally and cool to room temperature.
- Cook sausage and chicken in a non-stick skillet for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned.
- Place sausage, chicken, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, tomatoes, and seasoning into a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the broth and browned flour. Pour into slow cooker until fully blended.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker on warm and then place shrimp in a non-stick skillet. Cook for 3 minutes on each side and then place in crock pot.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions.
- Optional: add your favorite bread or crackers for an added crunch.