Smoked Corn Stuffed Pepper
- 8 large green peppers
- 1¼ teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11-ounce) can mexican-style corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded (optional)
- jalapeno pepper slices, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut a thin slice from stem end of each pepper; remove seeds and membranes; rinse. Cook peppers 5 minutes in enough boiling water to cover; drain. Season inside of peppers with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper; set aside.
- Combine rice, beans, corn, onion, walnuts, chilies, liquid smoke, cumin and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Spoon 1 cup rice mixture into each pepper; stand upright in 13x9-inch baking pan. Cover pan with foil; bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle peppers with cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with jalapeno pepper slices.
- Calories 282
- Total Fat 10g
- Sodium 581mg
- Carbohydrates 41g
- Dietary Fiber 5g
- Protein 9g