Wild Rice Holiday Salad
This flavorful Wild Rice Holiday Salad is the perfect complement to any holiday meal.
Starring U.S.-grown wild rice, this eye-catching salad is packed with pomegranate and comes to us from our friend Laura of @glowinglywell.
Prep Time25 min
Cook Time60 min
Total Time1 hr 25 min
- 1 cup wild rice
- ¾ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1-2 persimmons, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- pomegranate arils, for garnish
- mint leaves, for garnish, optional
- kosher salt, to taste
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Prepare wild rice.
For stovetop, in a medium sauce pot, bring 4 cups of water, 1 cup wild rice and salt to taste, to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
For instant Pot, add 1½ cups water and 1 cup wild rice. Secure lid and adjust valve to “sealing.” Select manual, high pressure, 25 minutes. Let naturally release for 10 minutes and then move the valve to “venting.” Remove the lid, fluff with a fork and let cool.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Start by toasting the pumpkin seeds. Add to a preheated pan on medium heat. Toast for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, to prevent the seeds from burning. Once toasted, remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a resealable jar and shake to combine.
- Build your salad by adding the greens to a large serving bowl, then top with the wild rice. Next, layer the remaining toppings over the rice. Add the dressing just before serving.