Barbecued Shrimp with Spicy Rice
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 wooden* or metal skewers
- Vegetable cooking spray
- ⅓ cup prepared barbecue sauce
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- ½ cup carrots, minced
- ½ cup red pepper, minced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- Thread shrimp on skewers. To broil in oven, place on broiler rack coated with cooking spray. Brush with barbecue sauce.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat 4 minutes. Turn and brush with remaining barbecue sauce. Broil 2 to 4 minutes longer or until shrimp are done.
- Cook onions, carrots, red pepper and jalapeno pepper in oil in large skillet over medium-high until tender crisp. Stir in rice, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce and pepper sauce; cook until thoroughly heated. Serve with Barbecued Shrimp.
Recipe NotesTo cook on outdoor grill, brush with barbecue sauce, cook skewered shrimp over hot coals 4 minutes. Turn and brush with remaining barbecue sauce. Grill 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
*Soak wooden skewers in water before using.
- Calories 260
- Total Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 167mg
- Sodium 1028mg
- Carbohydrates 25g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Protein 24g