California Wild Rice Stuffing
This hearty wild rice stuffing combines texture with flavor for the perfect vegetarian side dish.
Recipe provided by the California Wild Rice Advisory Board in collaboration with California Ripe Olives.
Serving Size1 bowl
Prep Time15 min
Cook Time50 min
Total Time1 hr 5 min
- 1½ cups wild rice blend
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups, plus 2 tablespoons vegetable broth divided
- 2 large shallots, minced small
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- ½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup whole, pitted, black olives, halved
- ½ cup whole, pitted, green olives, halved
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Cook wild rice blend via stove or Instant Pot methods. See detailed method instructions in the notes below.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and celery and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the sliced mushrooms, garlic, herbs and the remaining 2 tablespoons broth and cook until vegetables are softened. Add the cooked brown rice to the skillet and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Add the olives, pecans, lemon zest and juice to the wild rice mixture then seasons liberally with salt and pepper, to taste.
Stove Method: Add 1½ cups wild rice blend, 2¼ cups vegetable broth (or water), and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan then bring to a boil. Place a lid on top of the pan and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 40-45 minutes or until rice is al dente. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
Instant Pot Method: Add 1½ cups wild rice blend, 1½ cups vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt to the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn until it locks, making sure to seal the vent. Set to manual high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps, natural pressure release for 10 minutes and then carefully vent the remaining steam. Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.