Chicken-Apple Sausage Links and Pineapple Rice
Make life easy with our "No-Measure" Chicken-Apple Sausage and Pineapple Rice recipe-all you need to measure is a cup of rice! This dish features U.S.-grown long grain rice and requires less than 30 minutes of cooking time.
Serving Size2 sausage halves; ¾ cup rice mixture
Prep Time10 min
Cook Time28 min
Total Time38 min
- 4 chicken-apple sausage links, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 can (14.5-oz) of chicken broth
- 1 package (14-oz) of frozen peppers & onions, thawed
- 1 can (8-oz) of pineapple tidbits (in juice)
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- curry powder (to taste)
- fresh cilantro (to taste)
- 1 lime, quartered
- Heat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Set aside on separate plate.
- To pan residue, add the broth, peppers and onions, the pineapple and its juices, and sprinkle generously with curry powder. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice and top with the sausage, cut side up. Press down on sausage to “nestle” into the rice mixture slightly.
- Return to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover and cook 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges to squeeze over all.
- Makes 6 cups total. Serves 4; 2 sausage halves and about ¾ cup rice mixture per serving
Recipe NotesFor a spicier dish, add a pinch or two of crushed pepper flakes when adding the rice.
To thaw frozen peppers and onions, place in a colander and run under cold water until flexible. Drain well.
- Serving 479
- Calories 400
- Total Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 55mg
- Sodium 830mg
- Carbohydrates 62g
- Dietary Fiber 2g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 19g