Curried Rice Salad
This easy vegetarian and gluten-free recipe stars U.S.-grown basmati rice and comes together in just 30 minutes! This one-pot recipe comes to us from our friend @DishingOutHealth in partnership with USA Rice.
Prep Time10 min
Cook Time25 min
Total Time35 min
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ½ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped or almonds, sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet with a fitted lid over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook 6 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often, until fragrant. Add rice and stir to coat. Press into a single layer and cook 2 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until golden and toasted.
- Stir in 2 cups of water, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 to 17 minutes, until rice is tender and soaks up liquid. Stir in peas, remove from heat, cover, and let steam for 5 minutes. Stir in orange zest and juice.
- Spread yogurt on a serving platter and spoon rice mixture overtop. Garnish with chopped nuts, fresh mint, and orange wedges, if desired.
Recipe NotesServe: Enjoy as an entree or side dish to complement baked fish, roasted chicken, or seared shrimp. Salad can be enjoyed warm, chilled, or at room temperature.
To Store: Transfer to an airtight Tupperware container and refrigerate up to 4 days.
Substitutions: To make vegan, use a plant-based butter alternative and coconut yogurt.
- Calories 365
- Total Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Sodium 675mg
- Carbohydrates 51g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Sugar 7.5g
- Protein 9g